For those of you who like to cook (or aspire to) but don’t have a lot of time to follow complicated instructions or work with hard-to-find ingredients, we hear you. After all, simpler is better.
“Minimizing the complexity of the foods you’re preparing and eating means less energy and less processing,” Catherine Greener, our Chief Sustainability Officer, says. And less energy and processing helps all of us make a positive difference when it comes to reducing our carbon impact factor and seeking to actively combat climate change.
At Do Good Chicken, we make an impact by feeding our birds a nutrient-rich feed made from healthy surplus grocery food (after community donations are made). Plus, our chicken is raised without antibiotics, steroids, or artificial ingredients. That’s why we’re good for the plate and the planet.
The end result? A chicken that tastes like chicken because it IS chicken. Why disguise that delicious poultry under lots of ingredients and preparations it doesn’t need? Plus, the simpler the recipe, the less energy is wasted, and less energy wasted is a big win for the environment and those working toward food waste solutions.
That’s why these Chicken Parmesan Bites are the perfect recipe; breaded and baked and then smothered in marinara and melty mozzarella — so simple, so flavorful.
Ways to Customize These Chicken Parmesan Bites
Not into bite-size portions? Only have plain breadcrumbs? No worries, these ideas for customization can help!
- Want more? If the idea of chicken parmesan has you drooling but you don’t want to go through the trouble of making individual bites, you can still make this dish with full-size chicken breasts. Simply bread the breasts as instructed and put them on a cookie sheet. You’ll need to bake them for 25-30 minutes (or until the internal temperature reaches 165℉). Then, add marinara and cheese and dig in!
- Spice up plain breadcrumbs. If you only have plain breadcrumbs, you can easily make your own Italian breadcrumbs. Just add two tablespoons of Italian seasoning to the breadcrumbs, mix thoroughly, and then bread as directed.
- Shortcuts. For the marinara — use whatever marinara sauce you love. And as for the fresh mozzarella, don’t sweat it if you’d prefer to use pre-shredded. It’ll still give you that melted, gooey cheese you’re looking for.
- Swap herbs. Fresh basil is yummy but dried works too. Or swap basil for spinach leaves, or skip the fresh basil all together. Add a dash of red pepper flakes for spice — get creative.
Ideas for Serving Chicken Parmesan Bites
Just like there are many ways to customize this recipe, there are a bunch of different ways to serve these Chicken Parmesan Bites.
- You could add a toothpick to the top of every mozzarella-laden bite and serve them as appetizers at your next party.
- Put each bite of finished chicken on a slider bun for an easy weeknight dinner idea.
- Dress these up with your favorite Italian-inspired toppings like banana peppers, olives, or sauteed mushrooms. Eat as-is or in a sandwich or wrap.
- Pair with a roasted veggie like broccoli or asparagus for a well-rounded, nutritious meal.
How to Bake Chicken More Sustainably
Why stop at using Do Good Chicken for this Chicken Parmesan recipe? Go a step further and consider reducing food waste when making these Chicken Parmesan Bites, too. Ideas for making this meal use the least amount of waste and energy include:
- When you cut the chicken into bites, try to cut carefully, using every part of the breast possible.
- Watch your baking time and check for doneness using a meat thermometer. Don’t under or overcook your breasts so as not to end up throwing away any uneaten chicken.
- Be sure to refrigerate and use up any leftovers. Leftover chicken bites will last in the fridge for up to three days.
Chicken Parmesan Bites with Marinara Sauce
Active time: 30 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound of Do Good Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons + ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon + ¼ teaspoon black pepper, fine grind
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 egg whisked
- 2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons marinara sauce, warm
- 1 tablespoon fresh or grated mozzarella
- 8-9 fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Set up a breading station with a flat pan or container of each: seasoned flour (whisk together flour with cayenne pepper, 2 tablespoons salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder); egg wash (whisked egg, milk, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper); and Italian breadcrumbs.
- Using tongs, place the breast bites in the seasoned flour and dust slightly to ensure all sides are covered with flour. Shake off excess.
- Transfer floured chicken pieces to the egg wash and submerge.
- Then, use a slotted spoon to remove bites from egg wash and transfer to the breadcrumbs, lightly tossing to ensure all sides are covered. Shake off excess breadcrumbs.
- Place breaded bites on the cookie sheet then into the oven for 5-7 minutes or until the bites are fully cooked throughout.
- Remove from the oven and pile bite in a bowl or on a small plate.
- Dollop marinara sauce over the bites.
- Top the warm sauce with fresh mozzarella.
- Garnish with torn basil leaves.
Chicken Parmesan bites are so delicious and versatile — will you be trying them soon? If you’re looking for more great Do Good Chicken recipes, check them out on our website. And, while you’re there check out our store locator to see where you can find Do Good Chicken for your kitchen!