Do Good Foods has teamed up with Philadelphia native, chef, and founder of Carroll Couture Cuisine and Spice Finch, Jennifer Carroll, to provide home cooks with an easy, climate-friendly recipe using delicious Do Good Chicken, spices, herbs, and fresh vegetables.
“Good food should be eaten, not wasted,” Carroll says. “As a chef, restauranter, and someone who wants to do better for the environment, it is so exciting to partner with a brand that is on a mission to help everyone – from home cooks to professional chefs – create smarter meals that make a real impact.”
Serve these delicious Do Good Chicken Shawarma Kebabs on a bed of baby gem lettuce or inside a fresh pita or flatbread with quick-pickled cucumbers, a dollop of lemon garlic yogurt sauce, fresh mint and cilantro, a dash of extra spices, and lemon wedges.
Active time: 10 minutes
Total time: varies
1 lb. Do Good Chicken Breasts
1 tablespoon of neutral oil
2 teaspoons of shawarma spice (see recipe, below)
Cucumber quick pickle (see recipe, below)
Lemon garlic yogurt (see recipe, below)
Wooden bamboo skewers
Baby gem lettuce or fresh pita or flatbread (for serving)
Fresh mint and cilantro (optional)
Extra spice and lemon wedges (optional)
- Slice chicken breast into long thin strips about 1/4 in thick.
- Add sliced chicken into a bowl.
- Add oil and lightly massage to coat.
- Spread the sliced chicken out and season with shawarma spice.
- Skewer and season with salt.
- Grill, sear, or broil until chicken is cooked to 165 degrees F.
Cucumber Quick Pickle
4 teaspoons of kosher salt
2 teaspoons of sugar
6 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
- Slice the cucumbers thin.
- In a bowl, add salt, sugar, vinegar, and sliced cucumbers.
- Cover and set aside.
Lemon Garlic Yogurt
16 ounces 5% full fat yogurt
Zest of ½ a lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
¼ clove garlic, zested
Salt to taste
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
2 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
2 tablespoon turmeric
2 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
½ tablespoon garlic powder
½ tablespoon onion powder
½ tablespoon ginger powder
½ tablespoon whole fenugreek
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon sumac
1 teaspoon whole allspice berries
- Lightly toast all the whole spices together in a large pan.
- Add toasted spices to a spice grinder or blender to grind.
- Add in the rest of the spices to a grinder or blender to incorporate evenly.
- Store in an airtight dark tin or glass away from light and heat.
Tip: To save time, you can purchase pre-made, ground shawarma spice in the spice or international aisle of most grocery stores.