Creamy coconut rice is perfectly paired with juicy chicken thighs marinated in Thai-inspired flavors in this recipe for Thai Roasted Chicken Thighs — great for weeknight dinners and also makes for delicious lunchtime leftovers!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes (+ 30 minutes standing time)
Sweet & Spicy Orange Sauce
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1 large orange)
1 large clove garlic, crushed
¼ cup pure maple syrup
¼ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
1 teaspoon chili sauce or sambal oelek
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon hot pepper flakes
6 Do Good Chicken boneless, skinless chicken thighs (1 1/2 to 2 pounds total)
1 cup coconut milk, divided
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Thai basil leaves
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
1 tablespoon minced fresh lemongrass
1 red onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
½ small head green cabbage, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 ½ teaspoons salt, divided
2 cups jasmine rice
¼ cup packed cilantro leaves
Lime wedges, for serving
Sweet & Spicy Orange Sauce:
In a medium bowl, whisk together orange zest, orange juice, garlic, maple syrup, mayonnaise, vinegar, ¼ cup water, cornstarch, Sriracha, chili sauce, sesame oil, salt, and hot pepper flakes until blended. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together ½ cup coconut milk, garlic, lime juice, fish sauce, Thai basil, ginger, and lemongrass.
- To a large resealable bag, add chicken and marinade. Seal, massage to coat, and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Preheat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to skillet (discarding marinade) and sear, turning once, for 8 to 10 minutes or until char lines develop. Transfer chicken to a large plate.
- Add red onion and cabbage to the skillet; stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sesame oil, soy sauce, and vegetable oil. Drizzle over vegetables. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and stir to coat. Arrange chicken on top of vegetables.
- Roast for 18 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender, chicken is cooked through, and an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F when inserted into the thickest part of chicken.
- Meanwhile, add 3 ½ cups water to a medium saucepan and set it over medium-high heat. To the water add rice, remaining coconut milk, and remaining salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Fluff with fork.
- In another medium saucepan set over medium heat, cook orange sauce for 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened and heated through.
- Serve roasted thighs and vegetables over coconut rice. Top with cilantro and serve with lime wedges and orange sauce.
- For added authentic flavor, add 3 lightly crushed makrut lime leaves to rice while cooking, if desired. Discard lime leaves before serving.
- To round out the vegetables, add 1 eggplant — peeled, stemmed, and cut into 1-inch pieces — when stirring in the cabbage.